09 January 2015

Doing everything on this list might make me crazy

 
All of these are sane on their own, but taken together? Might be a little nuts.

1. Blog at least once a week. I really got off track last year. Granted, I did the blog about our house project (which I haven't updated in a while), but I didn't have a job until mid-September so that ain't no damn excuse. (grammar police look the other way) In some ways not posting very much on My Porch last year made me feel a little disconnected from the online reading world.

2. Read 100 books. I've done it a few times before but last year was not such a good year. I had tons of time on my hands. Too much I guess. I only made it into the low 60s. And as of the 9th day of 2015 I've only got one under my belt. I better get busy.

3. Keep up with my blog reading. Oy, I've been bad about this recently. By the time I get around to catching up there are so many posts to look at I ended up shutting down and ignoring way too many interesting posts.

4. I'm stealing this one from Simon Savidge who noted on episode 116 of The Readers that he plans to look at no screens after 10 pm. That means no TV, no computer, no phone, no iPad, etc. I'm not sure if he plans to do it on the weekends as well, but I am going to limit my limit to Sunday through Thursday nights. So far I have managed to do this but it takes being a little conscientious for sure. When I am about to press play on something on the DVR I have to look at the time to see if it will finish by 10. So far, so good.

[I interrupt this list to note that I just went to Google something about reading challenges for 2015 and came across a blogger who is, I'm sure a lovely person, but has a blog so cloyingly annoying (clannoying?) that I feel compelled (but will not) leave a snarky comment on her blog. Consider this editorial aside to be a sort of safety valve in that regard.]

5. Read all of Anthony Powell's 12-book, 4-volume series The Dance to the Music of Time. Annabel is bound and determined to do it this year and I am going to try and join her. The most challenging bit is that I don't feel compelled to read them yet. You know how you can have something on your shelves for years and then one day you just feel like it is the right time to give it a go? I feel that in my head right now, but I don't feel it in my gut. Stay tuned.



6. I think I have have participated in James' TBR dare ever year that he has done it, save one. And I was late in signing up, but since I haven't broken any of the rules yet, I figure I still qualify. This one may turn out to be easier to do this year since I am now reunited with all of my books unpacked and in one place and so I have a lot of unread books to choose from. More than enough to keep me happy.



7. Go to a movie once a month. This may sound easy, but, much to John's chagrin I don't see many movies these days. For the 11 months we lived in our temporary apartment we lived only 3 blocks from a multi-plex and we only went once.

8. Finish sending Amanda the rest of those Penguin post cards I started sending a year ago. I thought for sure I would send all 100 over a year, but I still have about 30 or 40 yet to send. Now that we are settled back into our house, I might find that easier to achieve.

The pile of postcards last January. I really should take an updated photo with at least half the stack gone.

The box and first post arrived in Georgia last January.


9. Participate in at least one of the two Dewey's Read-a-thon weekends. I'm not a fan of all the cheerleading and memes and such, but I still love the event and the wide range bloggers who participate.

....looking back at the list, and thinking of no other items to add I'm beginning to think I may actually accomplish all of these. The only one I am doubtful of is the Powell.






29 comments:

  1. Love your list. I have adopted a couple of them too but have probably broken the rule no screens after 10:00. I noticed on the nights I am reading by 9:00 and off screens I feel better, more relaxed and happier so better revisit this rule.It is worth following. I am doing the TBR challenge but I want to do it until 1 June. I will definitely do it until 1 April. Also with reading my blogroll that I love so much. I have them listed by order of the most recent posting at the top. I reading the top 5 or 6 and then stop each day. That number is not too cumbersome and eventually all of them get in the top 6 list. I find I am keeping up pretty well. By the way I like the word "clannoying". The movie once a month is a good one. We need to do that too. Glad to have you back on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I find turning off screens at 10 is very liberating, and, as you say I feel so much happier and relaxed as well.

      Delete
  2. It's a great list! I have been trying to cut my screen time in the evening as well, as I read more about how the light from devices can affect our sleep. I am really wondering now about the clammoying blog :) I keep looking at Anthony Powell books and reading a page here and there - I have a friend who is obsessed with them - but I haven't been inspired to bring any of them home yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I find my inspiration for reading the Powell.

      Delete
  3. I'd read Anthony Powell with you, at least the first volume! I have it on my TBR shelf and I can count it for my Back to the Classics Challenge as the 20th Century Classic.

    And now I'll have go back to my blog and make sure I'm not clannoying. I certainly hope not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely wasn't your blog. Is was one that I had never seen before and so, so, pink.

      Delete
  4. Awesome list...just making a good list is accomplishment enough. I won't even try to say i'll turn off screens by ten...but have just finished vol 1 of powell...and loooved it. I read alot of bks last yr and at end of yr i found myself sort of....going toward the shorter bks to bump up that number :) but that created an urge to read the larger bks that i pushed off. Well Powell is a hoot, but defnitely best part is he nails those simple human experiences both inner and outer...esp inner. But only fun when it calls to u...so go for whatever is yelping at ya. Also doing Double Dog, cause let's face it, with all you wonderful bloggers out there, my library of tbr is much better than any public library...so many thanks to u Thomas (Pym, Stevenson, Shute, chatwin etc)...gonna be a great yr because of u'all. Thanks...Quinn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done that before, using the shorter books to up my numbers. But they do play their part in getting us in the mood for the chunksters. Good to know you liked the Powell. Could be a good sign.

      Delete
  5. I have the same box of Penguin postcards! I posted a picture of one of them recently on my blog. In fact, the post card compelled me to read the book (and it wasn't a disappointment). http://beanbagtales.blogspot.com/2015/01/a-severed-head-starts-off-grp-2015.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It won't be long before I don't have any of the postcards left.

      Delete
  6. For a while, I was managing to avoid computer screens after 8 pm, but that didn't last. It did seem to improve my quality of life a lot of ways, but it was too hard to get blog posts written. No screens after 10 might be more doable--and I could include the TV in that. (Not the e-reader, though, because it is sometimes where the book I'm reading lives.) Maybe a compromise, like no computer screens after nine and no TV after 10.

    I've already semi-slipped with the TBR Dare. I gave myself an exception for Tournament of Books with the idea that I'd only get the ones I'm interested in--maybe 3 or 4--from the library. Turns out that I'm interested in them all. Oh, well.

    I like the movie resolution. I always want to go to the movies more but rarely do. And then I don't end up watching them at home because I fall asleep or get distracted. I can't last through a two-hour movie at home but have little trouble with a 3-hour play. Seems like more movie theatre visits is the answer for better movie viewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watching a movie at home is almost impossible. Too many napping opportunities.

      Delete
  7. I have heard a lot about the effect of screens on our sleep. I should try the 10pm thing, too! (I might tweak to allow myself to watch sporting events that run late).

    I did not post at all about 2015 challenges, so whew, I am not that clannoying blogger! Yet ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't even considering the physical effect of screens at night, I was just thinking how it takes away time from reading and sleeping.

      Delete
  8. Thomas this is exciting! I'm trying to cut down on screen time as well. Not really the TV time. Since we only have Netflix I pretty much only turn on the TV if there is something in particular I'm wanting to watch and I crochet while I watch so it isn't "lost" time. My problem is my smartphone. I'll go to check something and before I know it I've spent 45minutes trying to figure out which Middle Earth species I would be. My goal is to "unplug" at 9pm and not to sync back in until 7am.

    I am also super excited about the postcards. I'm glad they didn't get sent all in one year as I love getting mail that isn't a bill or a mailer from the Tea Party (I'm assuming the folks who lived in the apartment before us hated liberals just as much as they loved fishing).

    I was planning on reading A Dance to the Music of Time last year, but I didn't do it. This year I'm trying to go for the entirety of the Forsyte Saga.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Forsyte Saga is wonderful -- and it's not that long.

      Delete
    2. Last year I got a third of the way through The Forsyte Saga. You will love it. I should probably try and finish it this year as well.

      Delete
  9. Looks like a great list. I was going to read A Dance to the Music of Time last year, and got through book 1. I have books 2, 10, 11, and 12 sitting on my TBR and had thought I might return to them this year, but I haven't caught the motivation yet. If I tell myself one-a-month, I for sure won't read them. I tried that last year and it felt too much like an assignment. So we shall see about those. Happy Reading to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL on rebelling against your one a month idea. I would do the same darn thing. Curious to know what editions of the Powell you have. Are they all separate volumes.

      Delete
    2. They are all separate volumes - Arrow Books which I believe is Random House UK. The copies I own were all found at Half-Price Books in near pristine condition (for I'm guessing less than $5 each). Of course, I will want them all to match, so I'm hoping for more serendipitous shopping this year because I don't really want to pay online retail to support my OCD. :/

      Delete
  10. Right there with with you on most of these but have to admit that I love going to the movies and do so as often as possible. Love the AFI Silver here in the neighborhood and go over to Bethesda Row Landmark theatre more often since they have been renovated. Great seats, great screens. But not quite as good as the big screen at the AFI. I'll have to drag you with me sometime.

    The one thing I am really attaching myself to here is the reading of The Dance to the Music of Time. Been on the shelves for quite a while. With no good reason to avoid reading. I haaaad to have them at the time I bought the four volumes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes please! Drag me to the movies, but John will kill me if I don't let him tag along. And I have never been to AFI Silver. I guess the first step would be to actually look to see what is playing.

      Delete
  11. Ambtious goals are good!

    I loved A Dance to the Music of Time, so I hope you will too. I read the first three movements in 2013, stalled a bit and then finally read the last movement in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many commenters have made a go of the Powell, I really need to get on it.

      Delete
  12. Please don't take this the wrong way, because I really do enjoy reading your blog and noting your book reviews, but after reading this post I can't figure out whether you are trying to put more life in your reading or just put more reading in your life. I don't read anywhere as much as you do, but I do read on average at least four or five books per month (in addition to magazines and other periodicals), probably far more than the average person in the street, and I'm pretty much sure before I read the book that I will like it because I've checked it out ahead of time as far as the author and subject matter. I almost never start a book that I know nothing about, and don't waste time starting a book only to drop it at 25-30 pages in. In my case, less is more. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both!

      There have been times where I like the author and the description sounds good and I still end up not liking it.

      Delete
  13. Is the idea to read after 10? I wonder how many of your readers are wondering if our own blogs are that clannoying one?! :<))

    ReplyDelete
  14. In general, yes, to read after 10. But anything that isn't digital is fair game. Yours certainly is not the clannoying one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I totally recommend A Dance to the Music of Time. I bought vol 1 of the beautiful Chicago Uni Press edition when I lived in the US, and I planned to space out my reading of the books throughout the year. Well, no. I have a distinct memory of driving round bookstores one afternoon after the next volume, which I had to have right then! I hope you enjoy it. A friend of mine who is a huge Powell fan also recommends the BBC adaptation.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.