01 November 2014

The perils of reading more than one book at a time



The new job appears to be having an impact on my reading habits. I just don't seem to have the energy to do as much reading. I can't really complain about not having the time, I just choose to waste it in front of the TV these days. Hopefully that won't last forever, but that is where I am.

Some of this stack, like Out of Africa, The Foryste Saga, and The Vicar of Wakefield, I started what seems like eons ago. I didn't put them down for any reason other than I picked up something else(probably more frivolous) to read.

Others like Chef and Levels of Life have proved to be a little more tedious than anticipated. I will finish the Barnes because it is so short and I have so few pages left to read, but I am not so sure about Chef. I haven't found it very compelling and I would have to probably start over to reacquaint myself with the characters and plot.

I'm almost done with the Kerry Hudson, which I have been enjoying, but as I started my job, I found myself needing something a little less gritty and a little more comforting.

I am enjoying both the Murodoch and Artic Summer by Damon Galgut, I just let other things like The Sparrow get in the way. The Galgut incidentally is a fictionalized account of E.M. Forster's travels in India. I've been wanting to read it since Eric first wrote about it at Lonesome Reader.

And finally, Eric Ambler's The Care of Time is the page turner that is keeping me from getting back to everything else in the stack. During the readathon I was going to devote 12 hours to finishing up more than a few of these, but that weekend, I had to bring home work.

Even as I sit looking at the stack, I don't feel all that compelled to pick any but the Ambler up. On the other hand I could knock out the Barnes and the Hudson in short order. And I could jettison Chef and not feel badly at all. That would still leave six in the stack. Hmm.

4 comments:

  1. I have a different problem with reading more than one book at a time... I get confused. Yes. Really, I do. Not sure why! I blogged about it here: http://fennellbooks.co.uk/journal/2013/12/10/do-i-have-the-memory-of-a-goldfish
    I don't get confused between TV series, so why books?

    ReplyDelete
  2. for everything there is a season...do dah.....
    reading has to fit the mood of course....
    thank u for sending me to ambler! love him..who knew...
    but energies going toward work...sounds like cozy time for our ms pym :)
    pym and ambler for this course. thanks for update...quinn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - that's a lot to be reading all at one time! I blogged about my own issue with possibly reading too much last month (hope it's OK to post the link: http://librofulltime.wordpress.com/2014/10/17/is-it-just-actually-that-i-read-too-much/) but I'm still doing it! I am down to 3 real books and 1 ebook now and I'm about to try to polish off one tonight, at least. Good luck getting through some of those - I gave up entirely on Friday and read a light novel instead of my set of non-fiction tomes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you finished Arctic Summer yet? I'd love to know what you thought of it.
    Even though the subject is gritty and dark, I found the voice so strong and engaging in Tony Hogan I read right through it.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.