05 June 2013

Pym Post for Days 3 and 4


Today marks the beginning of the second half of Barbara Pym Reading Week so I thought I would  take a minute to make a few housekeeping announcements.

First up is that Amanda is having the week from hell with two of her children coming down with acute maladies that required trips to the emergency room. I believe they are both on the mend and are expected to be fine, but the result is that Amanda's busy world suddenly got much busier. So we may not hear too much from her over the next few days.

Second, I have to move the entire Barbara Pym Reading Week office to the Netherlands today. I am taking advantage of some frequent flyer miles to visit friends in the Hague so the remainder of the reading week will be administered from Dutch soil. The only real consequence is that I am not doing a real post today and the mailing of the prizes will have to wait until I am back in the U.S. But hey, winners can't be choosers.

Third, don't forget there is a make your own Pym cover art contest. Submit via email or link in a comment by 6 AM U.S. Eastern Daylight Time on June 7th. Get creative and make a cover image for a Pym novel. Extra points go to those who make it thematic to a specific novel. Multiple entries are acceptable. Paint, draw, sculpt, do a collage, manipulate a photo, you name it, just make sure you put some creativity and originality into your entry.
And finally, if I have missed any of your Pym posts from June 3 or 4, please let me know.

Blog Posts

I am not sure Barbara would approve of my choice of expressions, but I have to say it: OMG.  I just came across the blog Optimal Indexing. The most amazing thing is not that it references Pym, but that the blog exists at all. It is like the characters in No Fond Return of Love have entered the digital age. I wonder if that means they limit themselves to cyberstalking or if they still do it the old fashioned Pym way.

Somehow I missed the Indextrious Reader's TWO posts on Pym. Post the first is Mel's story of how she met Miss Pym and post the second features some really delicious looking cucumber sandwiches.

I also missed Adventures in full-time self-employment's post about putting on a Pym-like frock and cardy and heading to Heavenali's tea party.

I am not sure if this blogger knows about Barbara Pym Reading Week but she has a great blog that accompanies her class Miss Charlotte Bronte Meets Miss Barbara Pym.

Read the Gamut prepares for her entry into the world of Pym.

Indextrious Reader reads An Unsuitable Attachment and may have found her new favorite Pym.

Lyn at I Prefer Reading also gives us her take on An Unsuitable Attachment and has an edition I have never seen before.

Mary convinces me I need to get my hands on a copy of Felicity and Barbara Pym by Harrison Solow.

At least one literary soul has been saved. Barbara Pym Reading Week has made a convert out of Brona Joy.

Alex in Leeds takes her Folio Society edition of Excellent Women (with color illustrations!) for a spin.

Elisabeth at The Dirigible Plum, a long time fan discovers an early Pym she hadn't read before.

After a five-year hiatus, Lizzy's Literary Life returns to Pym by reading Excellent Women.

JoAnn at Lakeside Musing, unsuspectingly drawn in to reading another Pym this week, entices her readers to do the same with A Few Green Leaves.

Karen K. at Books and Chocolates reviews No Fond Return of Love.

Lisa May at TBR313 reviews Quartet in Autumn.

Anbolyn at Gudrun's Tights also gives us a review of Quartet in Autumn.

New mom Melanie at Meli-Mello walks to the store to lay in some Pym but finds herself distracted by life.

Cosy Books has a link to the wonderful 1978 Desert Island Discs broadcast with Pym.

Yours truly reviews No Fond Return of Love.

I must say, I am particularly proud of my efforts to expand the digital footprint of the late Jackie Schuman, cover artist for Pym's U.S. editions.



6 comments:

  1. There are so many enlightening Pym comments bubbling up during Pym Reading Week. I love it! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a serendipitous experience for you...one of my dds was reading Avi's book, Nothing But the Truth, and came in to tell me that one of the characters was talking about a Barbara Pym book! She showed it to me and was excited to be also participating in Pym Reading Week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Amanda! I've seen the evidence on her blog - the kids must be miserable. Thanks for being 'Pym Central', Thomas, and enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a wonderful trip, Thomas, & thanks for looking after Pym Week. It's been a lot of fun reading everyone's posts. I wonder which novel will be the most reviewed? I think it's probably a tie between Excellent Women & No Fond Return of Love.
    Here's my review of An Academic Question,
    http://tinyurl.com/jwoectu

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the optimal indexing link - what a treat!
    Scrolling down I discovered several posts on alphabetising rules that warmed the cockles of my heart :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm loving all of these Pym week posts, as well as the new blogs I'm discovering as a result of them. Today I try to do my little part by writing about Crampton Hodnet:

    http://missbibliophile.blogspot.com/2013/06/crampton-hodnet.html

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.