10 March 2013

Want to go to a book sale?


  
Scene from the Tompkins County Friends of the Library book sale in Ithaca, NY.
(copyright Eric Stewart Photography)
Yesterday I was really in the mood to go to a book sale. Not a bookstore, but a book sale. One of those events where there are just tables and tables of books for sale. I knew there were a few coming up in the DC area but I didn't know when or even where. And then I stumbled on Book Sale Finder. I can't believe I didn't know about this website. If you live in the US or Canada, you really need to check it out. It really makes me want to gas up the car and travel around doing nothing but going to book sales. There was nothing of interest for me yesterday but I marked my calendar for a few upcoming sales. Unfortunately, there are three pretty big ones next weekend here in DC but I will be at the Barbara Pym Society conference in Boston. Oh well, when it rains it pours.



So how does it work?

First, choose your location.


Then you can browse by date and link to sales that catch your interest. I've circled the big book sale that goes on twice a year in Ithaca, New York sponsored by the Friends of the Tompkins County Library. When I lived in Ithaca for grad school I couldn't really spend much money on books so I have never really gotten to go hog wild at this mammoth sale.

 Then when you click through to the link, it gives you more details on the sale.

When you click through to the sale website you can take a look at a map of the sales floor.


Maybe JoAnn from Lakeside Musing and I need to meet up for the sale in May?

Shiny Happy Volunteers.
(Photo from the Friends of the Tompkins County Library Facebook Page)

13 comments:

  1. I want to go to THAT booksale - the one in the top picture! Thanks for the link - I'm glad we're near the end of the TBR challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just in time for Spring Break! I'm about to go to the website and see what I can find. Just the pictures you posted make me want to "gas up the car and travel around doing nothing but going to book sales." :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always want to go to a book sale. All our local ones aren't until June now, so I'm waiting for that happy time to arrive, though it is tempting to go on a book sale road trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an organised website! I've never been to a big book sale - only the one Oxfam organise in Oxford every now and then - and I find even that a little intimidating. But with someone else, it would be great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh goodness, you are an evil person! I'm already planning next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this could be so much fun/trouble. Marked the site as a favourite, Thomas, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what great idea ,and thank god I don't live in US lol this would bankrupt me ,all those bargain books just amazing ,thanks for sharing and If I ever go to us know where to look for baragins ,all the best stu

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been receiving their emails for at least a year (maybe Diane from Bibliophile by the Sea that introduced me?) - it's very dangerous. I'm up for the Ithaca book sale!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, thanks for the link! This looks like a great way to find new treasures and explore new places. Love!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You, sir, are an enabler. I love book buying enablers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this site. I want them to extend it to Australia. A bit hard to get back for the big sales there but next time I visit my sister in California I will look this up. Great find.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My last comment didn't show up, so I'll try again. When you're in Boston, go visit Brattle Book on West Street in downtown Boston. I haven't been there for years, but I used to walk past it on my to and from work. I bought tons of beautiful inexpensive books there.

    Brattle Book is one of the oldest used book stores in the county. Google 'George Gloss' for information about the colorful late proprietor. His son Ken now runs the store and sometimes shows up on Antiques Roadshow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lisa May: We are actually going to drive up for this year.

    Susan: It certainly does open a world of possibilities.

    Megan: That will give you time to plan your strategy.

    Simon: Most of my book browsing is solo. Keeps me from getting into fights with like minded folk who want the same books.

    Jill: An example of evil being good?

    Darlene: I plan to return to it often.

    Stu: Maybe you should start the UK version.

    JoAnn: We are going for sure. Hope to meet you there.

    Anbolyn: It's pretty fabulous.

    Amanda: Look at it this way, book sales are usually cheaper than even used book stores.

    Pam: You could probably piece together an Australian version.

    Joan: I have put Brattle Books on my must see list.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.