12 June 2012

UKDay7: Walking to Winchcombe

 
After our morning jaunt to the Slaughters we headed back to our B&B so we could take advantage of our final day in the Cotswolds by walking into Winchcombe via the Cotswold Way. It wasn't so much to see Winchcombe, which, while pretty, is not one of the idyllic villages that made the Cotswolds famous. The main idea was to just soak in the countryside one last time, and what better way to do it then to go for a ramble through the countryside?

When all was said and done, it took about an hour and twenty minutes each way. While we were in Winchcombe we visited Sudley Castle, but, not being run by the National Trust, it was such a lame, lowest common denominator kind of place that I wouldn't recommend it.



Everything reminds us of Lucy.



About 15 minutes walk from the B&B is Hailes Abbey


I'd love to know the construction chronology of this arch. It looks like an older rounded arch was supplanted by
one or two more gothic ones over the centuries, but how in the world did that one piece of the rounded arch
end up in that position?





These cows decided to stand on the only bridge over the water.

Like a group of street toughs on a deserted street at night, these cattle were a little daunting.

Cattle panic subsided long enough to snap this photo.

He wasn't smiling so much as calling for his mom, who eventually came over to claim him.

The sky varied greatly during the walk, but no rain fell.


Winchcombe



11 comments:

  1. You guys just take the most beautiful vacations! And how cute/sad about all the Lucy reminders!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all your gorgeous pictures, in this post and the ones before

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, Hailes Abbey, I have been many times. Lovely. All of this is making me very nostalgic for when I lived in Worcestershire.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. This makes my walk around the track at Ft Sam Houston look pretty lame.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Farm animals always freak me out. That's the only downside to the UK's public footpaths!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous photographs. The weird gothic/roman arch (with fragments of previous arches overhead) is really a puzzle. I think the abbey must have been added onto in a gothic style so they infilled existing roman (round) arches along one wall to match the rest of the new room? The other bizarre brickwork and old arch would have been hidden by plaster and stucco over the stone. Really fascinating stuff to an architecture geek like me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The arch had me staring for quite a while. So interesting!

    You are making the Cotswolds move higher and higher on my list of fantastic places to travel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry you didn't enjoy Sudeley. I admire the gardens (well, almost any gardens), and find non-Trust properties refreshing in their individuality and the fact that they are actual family homes.
    But you were well-placed for the Cotswold way, and glad you took advantage. It's lovely country and your photos do it justice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for taking us all on a lovely English vacation. It's such a beautiful country. The villages are wonderfully human-scale and kept mostly within their bounds, not sprawling like our American towns, and so aesthetically pleasing.

    I can never figure out how such an old populated country can still have so much open space and charm. I'd think people would be falling off such a small island!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jill: I swear every animal we see makes us think of her. Largely a good thing.

    WordsandPeace: I am glad you enjoyed them.

    Simon: You know Hailes? It was a touch warm when we were there after the 15 minute walk so I was less reflective than I needed to be. Plus, my mind was on the rest of the walk into town.

    Leticia: Not lame, just different.

    Kim: I had to keep reminding myself that people walk in those pastures all the time. But all I could see was Hyacinth Bucket getting chased by a bull.

    Stefan: There are so many ancient churches still intact and in use in England that it is hard to imagine that some of them are contemporary to this ruin of an abbey.

    Picky: They are definitely worth the trip, but then again so are so many other parts of England.

    Margaret: John did like the gardens. And I appreciate that the family has to make money to keep the house open, but it was really in questionable taste. Especially since of the two rooms of the house actually open to the public one of them was Katharine Parr's privy with a velvet lined toilet all salaciously displayed.

    Joan: There are bits of American style sprawl in the UK, but thankfully so much of the country is preserved so fantastically. I think London gets more and more congested while other parts of the country suffer a population drain.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is heaven to me, really. The paths, the gates, the animals, the streets. All as I remember it from past visits, and am so happy to know it is still there.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.