24 January 2012

Do you want to see 1,212 pictures of Hawai'i?

   
Probably not, but that is how many pictures we (well, John) took while we were in Hawai'i for 8 days. You can imagine that a pretty smallish precentage of those are keepers. Often when we I get around to posting vacation pictures I get a little overwhelmed by the vast quantity of photos to choose from. So much so that I usually end up dumping lots of pictures without much in the way of explanation. But this time I really want to slow myself down so I can take some time to write about our experience in Hawai'i. As I have mentioned before, the first of my Master's degrees (American Studies/Historic Preservation) is from the University of Hawai'i at Manoa. And because I lived in Honolulu from August 1995 to September 1997 I have a certain affinity for the place that visitors may not appreciate. I know that that is the case with John. This was our first trip to Hawai'i together, but he has been there about six other times, once on O'ahu (Honolulu) and the other trips on Maui, Lana'i, and the Big Island of Hawai'i. For many who visit O'ahu they see the crazy hustle bustle of Waikiki and all the traffic on the island and don't appreciate all there is to see on the island.

Knowing that John was less than excited to spend four of our eight days in Hawai'i on the island of O'ahu I told him ahead of time to think of it not as going to Hawai'i, but rather as going to see my old stomping grounds. Somewhere I spent two years of my life. And it worked. Thankfully the stars aligned and I was able to show him the full beauty and variety of O'ahu and we had a wonderful time there. (We also had a great time on Kaua'i which was a new island for him, but that is another story.)

Day One
On our first full day on O'ahu we had a very full schedule. We started with a morning drive across the pali (cliff) on the old Pali Highway stopping at the Pali Lookout on the way to the windward side of the island.


Our first stop was Lanikai, my favorite beach on O'ahu. We didn't stay too long but we did come back later in the week (will have more pictures later). One of the great things about Hawai'i is that there is no such thing as a private beach. Every inch of shore line in Hawai'i is public up to the high tide mark and regular public access to the beach is required in even the toniest of neighborhoods.



Then we headed past Kailua and Kaneohe on our way to the North Shore.
The Byodo-in Temple built in 1968 using no nails.
A lovely place nestled up against the pali.

Leaf graffiti at the temple.

Chinaman's Hat seen through the trees.

A fruit stand near Kuhuku.

The legendary Sunset Beach on the North Shore which has winter swells that keep all but the most experienced surfers out of the water. Otherwise broken bones and death await the idiots.
Surf was definitely up that day.

Waiting for a lull to paddle out to the distant surf.

Surfer, Ron Paul...it must have to do with pot laws.

This gives some idea of how inviting the water looked that day.
Doesn't the color of that water remind you of a wonderful, giant jacuzzi?

Double click on this one to make it bigger. Those are two young boys
and their boogie boards being launched in the air.
If the angry surf doesn't keep you from going in the red flag should.

And then back to Waikiki for drinks and pupus.
The evening view from our hotel room lanai.

Also the view from our hotel room. Waikiki is a very dense, urban place.
Definitely hard to find peace and quiet, but it has other charms.

I was going to say this was our first sunset from our hotel room, but it was actually our second.

10 comments:

  1. It looks great, I'm a fan of Islands but only really know little Scottish ones - would love to visit somewhere more exotic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing such beautiful holiday pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been interested in going to Hawai'i, but John's photographs do make it look like paradise.

    Last year, I read The Wave by Susan Casey, a lot of which is about surfing those killer waves off Hawai'i. Very exciting reading.

    I'm looking forward to more armchair travel! Great view from your hotel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In general I would say, no, I don't want to see anyone's 1,212 pictures of their vacation but these really are breathtaking.
    I have a bad habit of doing the same thing, taking thousands of photos while away and forgetting what they are. I took a step back and in Paris last month I only took about 20-30 a day and it was so much easier to remember what they were, appreciate them and also not become overwhelmed. Looks like you had a great (warm) trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your trip with us folk all over the world who may never get to Hawaii. Your photos are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow it looks like you had a lovely vacation. I've always wanted to visit Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great pictures. Love the Ron Paul surfer! Why am I suddenly craving guava juice? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hayley: I would love to visit some Scottish islands myself. Parts of Grace Notes by Bernard MacLaverty which I just read takes place on one. I think it was called Islay.

    Diane: Thanks, there are more posted.

    Mystica: I am glad you enjoyed them.

    Joan: The odd thing is I didn't have much interest in going there (aside from the childhood love of Brady Bunch) until I moved there for grad school in '95.

    Stefan: John already takes a long time setting up pictures, I can only imagine how long he would take if he had to limit himself to 20 to 30.

    Cath: It certainly would be a long haul from the UK. If I were going that far I would go to Australia...

    Brenna: You should.

    Susan: I like the Pass-o-guava that they have (a mix of passion fruit, orange and guava).

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Surfer, Ron Paul...it must have to do with pot laws."


    Smartass.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.