01 October 2011

Book Review: Miss Buncle Married by DE Stevenson (and a Persephone winner)

   
You must remember how I frothed over how much I loved Miss Buncle's Book. I liked it so much I can't believe I had the patience to wait for the second Buncle book to be shipped to me from Persephone in England.

So after all the anticipation what did I think?  I totally enjoyed it but, like many of you told me, it didn't live up to the brilliance of the first. There was something so fresh and enjoyable about MBB that it isn't too surprising that MBM couldn't be as fresh because of the sheer fact that Stevenson uses the same central character. MBB was a real comic tour de France (as I like to say) while MBM was pretty much just amusing and sweet.

Perhaps it was because MBM wasn't as strong that I was able to see what Simon mentioned in his comment to my MBB review. Stevenson's writing isn't all that good.  Not only does she trade in cliche but there is something kind of clumsy about her prose. I lost count of how many times Miss Buncle's husband used "his smiling voice". If I didn't love the Miss Buncle brand as much as I do, I would have thrown the book across the room for such a crime.

These grievances aside, I would still recommend Miss Buncle Married for those who have read Miss Buncle's Book.  But if you only plan on one Buncle, read the first.

And the winner of the Persephone giveaway is..,

Ruthiella

Please send me an email with your address and I will pop A Fortnight in September in the mail for you.

4 comments:

  1. I still need to read the first Miss Buncle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts entirely, although I was more let down by the 3rd Miss Buncle than the 2nd...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not read anything about this Miss Buncle, but I love the idea of you being in a froth over her, so I'll have to check her out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore all of D.E. and loved The Two Mrs Abbots for its WWII setting so don't be put off. Also, The Four Graces takes place in parallel to the Two Abbots. Altho I have loved D.E. for 40 years, it was not until I did a marathon reread of every single one in about 6 weeks that I realized how subtly interconnected all the books are - often just a small mention that such and such a family lives only a few miles away.

    I highly recommend to you the books of Jane Duncan. Set in Scotland/England and Jamaica, they unfold the life of one character, Jane, by focusing on her relationships with one person or set of persons (My Friends the Miss Boyds, My Friend Monica) over time; so the books may present Jane as a child and an adult, or just as an adult. A very underrated author IMHO.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.