11 August 2011

Maine Books: Books on Books

  
There were so many great used bookshops in Maine I was a little amazed. Unfortunately, since we were staying on the island of Islesboro and were beholden to the limited hours of the ferry, we didn't have much time to browse the many shops that dot Route 1 along the coast. We were very fortunate however, in that Islesboro has two (that's right two) bookstores despite only having about 600 year-round residents. One Artisan Books and Bindery which has a small but wonderfully curated collection of new and fine used books. The other is another branch of Artisan but devoted to fine used books. And the beauty of the two island bookstores is that since there was no pressing schedule for us at any point, I was really able to comb the store from top to bottom. I came away with more than a few wonderful things. They had a particularly good selection of books on books.


Tell me this one doesn't look fascinating. And it is in perfect condition.
This is a review copy from 1970 that has clearly never been read.

It still had this loose inside the front cover.
 
I know my audience. You want to know the contents of the three volumes of Book History.
Volume 1
(Click on any photo to make it larger)

Volume 2

Volume 3


Update:  I just found out that Guinevere Griest (the author of the Mudie's book) lives in Washington and graduated from Cornell in 1944. (I went to Cornell for grad school.) Maybe I will run into her...

ABOUT GUINEVERE L. "GUIN" GRIEST - AB 1944, COLLEGE OF ARTS & SCIENCES
Resides in Washington, D.C.- Cornell University, AB Arts & Sciences, ’44 - M.A. and Ph.D., University of Chicago, ’61. Born January 14, 1924 in Chicago, IL. Attended the Loring School in Chicago. At Cornell: Cornell Daily Sun, Editor and Editor-in-Chief-Elect immediatly prior to its wartime shutdown; Cornell Bulletin, Editor; Mortar Board; Phi Beta Kappa; Dean’s List;Phi Kappa Phi, Pi Delta Gamma, V-Book Co-Editor; Vice President of Risley and Balch; USGA Judiciary & Appeals Committees; USGA Council; Student Council. Associate Professor, University of Illinois-Chicago - Director, Division of Research and Fellowship Programs, National Endowment for the Humanities, Washington, DC - Retired in 1992 and 1995. Author, Maude’s Circulating Library and the Victorian Novel (Indiana University Press & David and Charles, U.K.) plus articles. Interests: Volunteer at Washington National Cathedral; travel, gardening, theatre, opera.  (Source)
 

5 comments:

  1. Lovely haul! Books in my Baggage - I can relate to that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a great series of books, five in all I believe, about the Moosepath League. Van Reid, who used to work at Coastal Books in Maine, is the author and I can't say enough about them. They're novels that take place in the late 1800s and early 1900s and are full of great characters, hilarious situations, and the flavor of Maine. Good stories and good writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sakura: I know, I brought such a big stack with me. Took up lots of room.

    Joan: Those wound like fun. I will have to look for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was in grad school in Bloomington, Indiana, the annual remainder and overstock sale held by the IU Press was always a highlight of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve: Now that is a sale I would like to go to. We have Daedalus Books which is a remainder wholesaler about 45 minutes outside DC, but it would be really fun to have a crack at remainders from academic presses.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.