17 August 2011

At Last

 
Why in the world has no one ever told me about James Last and his orchestra? This stuff is gold. (Well his stuff from the early '70s is gold. The later stuff gets kind of bad.)

I came across it after JoAnn at Lakeside Musing honored Verity and Ken on their wedding day with a YouTube video of Peter, Paul, and Mary singing "The Wedding Song". (Since I couldn't participate in the Verity festivities I offer her my congratulations now.)

Well, a child of the 1970s, I love The Wedding Song. It makes me so nostalgic. So I went to YouTube and listened to many other versions (Petula Clark, The Letterman, Nana Mouskouri, etc.) and then I came across James Last and loved the harmonies. I looked for more like it but instead discovered the world of Jame Last.  And it is awesome. Seriously cheesy and way corny, but so darn awesome I can't stand it.

Here is the one that got me started


But then this one blew my socks off


And then Orange Blossom Special no less. This was a huge favorite of mine as a kid.




4 comments:

  1. I've never heard of James Last, either. I'm so glad you posted this . . . so much fun! Greensleeves was a surprise! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. James Last is new to me, too... gotta love the 70's!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I get tipsy and the party's at my place I inflict James Last's '67/2 non stop dancing on guests (as per here http://www.grandorchestras.com/jlast/albums/nonstopdancing672.html) But the zenith before I collapse in an exhausted heap is the Ventures a go go...now let me see if I can find that for you on You Tube....here you go....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_-9dxpGWck ...truly tragic I know....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Inkslinger: I don't know about you but it took me a long time to recognize the Greensleves tune. I think it is several minutes in before it is discernible.

    JoAnn: Especially the oufits.

    Luvvie: O M G - I am loving the Ventures a go go. That is so cool. I must look into them further. Although more sedate, you might enjoy this version of Blue Moon by Ray Conniff. http://youtu.be/sHoy662oml0

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.