11 July 2011

RIP Anna Massey

   
I just bumped into the fact that Anna Massey died on July 3rd at the age of 73.

How sad. I remember her most from The Importance of Being Earnest and of course the film adaptation of Hotel du Lac.  And do you remember she played Rupert Everett's mother in Another Country?

Just this past weekend I was contemplating getting an Anita Brookner audiobook and out of the seven or so that I previewed, I liked the ones read by her best. I was on the fence about getting the audiobook. I don't really get much out of listening to books, and I am not really the type to sit around and listen to anything for eight hours. But now maybe I will reconsider.

I've been trying to get ahold of the film of Hotel du Lac, but it doesn't seem to be available in the US anymore. I know I rented it years ago. Maybe that was on VHS and they never released the DVD here in the US.

3 comments:

  1. Oh that's sad. I missed it too. I didn't realise she was as young as 73, she has always seemed like a grande dame ever since I first heard of her years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll never forget her in 1980s version of Rebecca I saw on PBS. She was so wonderfully creepy as Mrs. Danvers. She also brilliantly narrated an audio version of the book, I'll have to check it out again soon. How sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting this. I saw The Importance of Being Earnest a few months ago and remember her performance. I also read that she had been married to "Sherlock Holmes" aka Jeremy Brett.

    I feel the same way about audiobooks. Recently, however, I downloaded an audio book on my iPhone. I can listen to it while cooking.

    Aloha,
    Rob

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.