20 March 2011

The Most Expensive Souvenir of All Time

   
When John and I were in London back in November you may remember that I went a little crazy collecting all 100 of Penguin's Great Ideas books. Well, that was nothing compared to the other purchase we made while we were there. Since we moved into our house last May, we have been looking for library chairs that would be comfy for both reading and dozing. I am six foot two and need a fair amount of lumbar support, so finding the right chair that would be cushy but still offer support for my back is no easy task. On top of that, the door into our library is only about 25 inches. You would be surprised how few chairs fit through that kind of opening.

Anyhoo, we had checked out all the usual local sources for chairs and were coming up with nothing. We thought since we were in London we would check out George Smith. Both of us had been a fan of their classic look for years and we knew their quality was second to none. Mind you, we only went into LOOK. We had no intention of buying. That is of course until we went in the store, sat down ,and realized that we would never find a more comfortable library chair.

So many, many pounds (and even more dollars) later we had purchased two chairs and a large ottoman. And then lickty split, only four months later (!) our chairs and ottoman made their way through the narrow library door (thank god) and have become my favorite place to sit in the house.

I wasn't going to post this picture because the rest of the room isn't really up to snuff yet. We have put off painting the walls until the windows are finished. And the window work may require replacing the less than pretty shelves sooner rather than later. And it is clear there isn't much insulation in the walls, and the fireplace flue needs to be replaced...did I mention that I love my chairs?

20 comments:

  1. They look very comfy. Four months is pretty fast, too. I waited seven months for a sofa I purchased just 40 miles away from home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you posted this AFTER our trip... love the chairs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I can't imagine buying furniture overseas but if you found something you like then why not? I would probably not buy them and then wish I had years later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look so comfy and inviting. Problem is once you sit there you may not want to get up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice chairs! And is it just me, or are thePersephone grey??? I'm also ready to start painting my house and I did peruse Lowe's for dove-grey paint chips! I think the walls will end up being blue or green instead. Or both.

    Your library looks like it's going to be lovely and cozy. I look forward to seeing the final results.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My most expensive car cost less than that chair! That must be one comfortable chair.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, but they are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like money well spent to me.
    thanks for sharing
    martine

    ReplyDelete
  9. okay, can I say I just a little jealous that you found the perfect reading chairs. We are still on the elusive search. Very nice and comfy looking for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it when there is a story behind purchases and you have a great one there, Thomas! Very classy and cosy, a perfect combination...it was meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  11. CB: Isn't it amazing how long it takes to get furniture? Almost two months of our wait was the shipping process.

    JoAnn: There is always the next trip.

    Ash: They are available in the US, but they were on sale and it was the first time we found a showroom where we could sit in them first.

    Mystica: They do promote napping.

    Karen: They are actually a beige. Since we want to have them forever we went as neutral as possible. The wall colors will be a dark grey at some point.

    Jim: They were about 40% off and we expect them to last longer than a car. We will be buried in them.

    Verity: They really are.

    Martine: It certainly seems that way.

    Diane: At first we were thinking a wing chair to allow for snoozing, but these do quite a good job in that respect.

    Darlene: I was humoring John when we went into the store. But once I sat down I started to convince him we needed them. It didn't take much arm twisting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah! I love these! Words can't even begin to explain my jealousy of your library.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely Chairs -I just love George Smith as well. Always buy what you love and you'll never regret it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Don't spill that coffee on them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. For the amount of time that you will sit in that chair, the money you spent is certainly justified. That's how I look at it. Enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These chairs are gorgeous. I, too, am working on a library at the moment. I am turning my dining room into more of a reading room, and these chairs would be oh so perfect. I love how you styled it, too. Plus, the glimpse of your shelves has me so anxious to get started on building mine! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very upmarket indeed, and you've chosen an excellent fabric. Although I don't have your towering status, I too am finding difficulty with lumbar support, (from chaises longue that we recently had made here - essentially for watching the idiot's lantern). However, I'm playing around with additional cushions, and the first two samples are due very shortly so I hope they are the correct choice.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am madly in love with the chairs (and the ottoman) and am so happy for you. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That chair looks so comfortable that I am quite sure I'd fall asleep reading in it!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.