29 November 2010

Book-a-palooza: Persephone Outing

   
I have gotten way behind in writing about recent book adventures, so all this week I will be posting about some of fun things I have picked up in the last couple of weeks.

Many of you wondered what I picked up on my first visit to Persephone when we were in London two weeks ago. Rather than carry them home in my already full suitcase, I had them shipped and they were remarkably quick in showing up on my doorstep. With the exception of the Whipple, these are all new authors for me. I have wanted The Hopkins Manuscript since I gave it as a gift last year to Jodie at Book Gazing for the Persephone Secret Santa. And the Richmal Crompton I got because I remembered how much Simon liked it. What I didn't know when I bought it was that Crompton is (one of?) his favorite author(s) and that is how came to know Persephone in the first place. High hopes for that one.

The New House by Lettice Cooper
Family Roundabout by Richmal Crompton
Little Boy Lost by Marghanita Laski
To Bed With Grand Music by Marghanita Laski
Doreen by Barbara Noble
A House in the Country by Jocelyn Playfair
The Fortnight in September by RC Sheriff
The Hopkins Manuscript by RC Sheriff
They Were Sisters by Dorothy Whipple



8 comments:

  1. You lucky duck! I loved Little Boy Lost, but haven't read the others! I seem to be having great book luck as of late, but alas, no persephones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are lovely -- as are the bookmarks. I found a copy of Little Boy Lost in a Half-Price Books here last week (an unheard of find) and nearly shrieked out loud in the store. :) Enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely Persephone loot!

    Of those I have read the Crompton, the Whipple and the Laski (x2) novels and all were exceptionally good. I foresee some very cosy reading in your future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daniel: I am really looking forward to the Laski books. I have heard so many glowing reports of them.

    Susan: I am amazed everytime I see a Persephone in the US. Hasn't happened many times, and usually seems to be Miss Pettigrew.

    Claire: Life is so busy right now, it is a little hard to imagine time to read much of anything. But when I do have time...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am making a note of your list - I especially like the sound of a House in the Country and those bookmarks are to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I can't fault youyr selection. I'd pick out Marghanita Laski, who is a genius and Doreen, one of the finest lesser know gems in Peresphone's catalogue. How lovely to have those all lined up to be picked up whenevcer the time is right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mystica: The bookmarks are really nice aren't they?

    Fleufisher: Doreen really is a lesser known gem. I hadn't really noticed it in the catalog. It was the bookmark that caught my attention at first.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am coming back like a bad penny! do you know that not one and I mean not one is available in the library here.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.