24 January 2010

Asia Trip 18: Our peaceful retreat in Chiang Mai

JANUARY 8, 2010: We left hot, humid, hectic Bangkok for a stay at a resort just outside the town of Chiang Mai in the mountainous north of Thailand. The sky was blue, the air was fresh, the temperature was cooler, and everything was quiet.

Both its Lanna-style architecture and amazing landscaping make this place look quite natural in the Thai landscape. They even built working rice-growing terraces. Locals farm it for the interest of us tourists and the rice itself gets donated to charity.












They have two water buffalo including this albino one. Check out the growth pattern of his hair.




The spa was great.








A little welcome nosh in our room on our first evening.







Hangin' out by the pool. That would be one Pina Colada, one Mai Tai, and homemade potato chips with herbs and parmesean cheese.






I forgot my swimsuit so I was looking for a leaf to cover my bits. (No, not really Mom.)



4 comments:

  1. Looks like a lovely place! That's kind of great how it seems to fit into the landscape instead of trying to overrule it like some resorts seem to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am enjoying all of these pics. This resort is such a breath of fresh air. Literally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ti: I am glad you are enjoying them. Sometimes I think it is the equivalent of making people watch home movies. But I guess this way the viewer is in total control over whether or not to look.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.