01 October 2009

Will be away for a bit...Here are Some Books to Look At




Today my friend Benjy--that is Benjamin Flowers, who just published a fantastic new book on the politics of skyscrapers in New York--and I went to Books for America and I came home with 21 books. Average cost, $2.33 a book. And all the proceeds go to charity. Yay!

Anyway, the hubby and I are going to be out of town for about a week so I won't be able to post for awhile. So I thought I would leave you with some photos to gaze at while I am away.

Murdoch - Bruno's Dream
Piercy - Gone to Soldiers
Woolf - Night and Day
Hemingway - The Sun Also Rises (read it)
Orwell - Burmese Days
Trollope - The Belton Estate
P. Fitzgerald - The Bookshop (read it, need to read it again)
Mulisch - The Procedure
H. James - The Ivory Tower
Collins - No Name
Hemingway - The Old  Man and the Sea
Laurence - The Diviners
M. Spark - Reality  and Dreams
Wescott - The Pilgrim Hawk
Trollope - Harry Heathcote of Gangoil
Pym - Excellent Women
Edith Wharton Abroad
Drabble - The Waterfall
E. Carey - Observatory Mansions (read it, loved it)
P. Lively - Oleander Jacaranda
R. West - The Return of the Soldier

Have you read any of these?  What am I in for?

6 comments:

  1. Hey, couldn't find your non-work email address on here, but I just wanted to wish you and John a bon voyage! :) will miss you while you are gone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an awesome haul! Most impressive.
    Happy travels to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could gaze at book stacks all day long. Out of your pile I've read The Old Man and the Sea and the The Sun Also Rises... both great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may have read Old Man and the Sea, 20 years ago or so. But, since I don't have a spreadsheet of the books I've read, the only way to find out is to start reading it again...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the look of Edith Wharton Abroad. Good haul!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow I love your Hemingway covers! I've only read The Old Man and the Sea out of your stack.. it's a touching story.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.