12 August 2009

40 by 40 Update: #13 Reduce My Cholesterol Below 200

(Back in May of 2007 I noticed that a bunch of people in the blogosphere had created lists of 101 things to do in 1001 days. I was intrigued by the notion but felt I needed to change the parameters. So I created my 40 by 40 list. 40 things I wanted to do before I turned 40. Well on August 17th I turn 40, and I need to give $10 to charity for every uncompleted item. So it is time to see how I did.)

13. Reduce My Cholesterol Below 200 - COMPLETED
Running Tally: $60.00 to charity.

Although I have no other risk factors for heart disease, my cholesterol has been consistently in the neighborhood of 226. Anything over 200 is considered to be high. At one point in the summer of 2007 when I was at my fittest I managed to reduce it to 217. But since then it has gone back up. I finally came to the conclusion that I would never have the will or desire to have the kind of diet that would allow me to get my cholesterol any lower. If it is even possible, sometimes genetics wins the contest no matter what you do. So I went on a statin drug earlier this summer. I don't go in for a follow-up until September 14th, so I don't know for sure if it is below 200 at this point. But, I am giving big Pharma the benefit of the doubt and assuming that it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.