15 July 2009

The Year of Acquiring EVERYTHING

You may recall that I was going to try and not acquire anything unnecessary until we buy a house next year. And then I had a few minor slips here and here.

Well, since then all hell has broken loose--at least as it relates to that goal. I get no prizes for largely limiting my unauthorized acquisitions to books. It is so difficult to go to great used bookstores and not buy something. You might say "stay the heck out of bookstores". But on the very short list of places that give me pure joy, bookstores are right at the top. The money spent on these books has been pretty low (thanks to the "used" part) but the stacks of books, unread and read, are becoming structurally unsafe. Toss in a few classical CDs I bought after determining I needed some fresh fodder for my iPod, a box of travel-themed stickers (Am I a 13 year old girl? What the heck am I going to do with them?), a pair of sneakers to relieve my literally aching feet, and it all adds up to an abandoned goal.

The good news is that I don't really beat myself over unmet goals. This will become especially apparent when I do the final reckoning of my 40 by 40 list next month as I leave my 30s behind and face the ever-quickening march to death. And before my Dad chimes in (Ernie in Peoria) and tells me to get over myself and my perpetual mid-life crisis, I am actually just being funny about the march to death part. It is true of course, but it doesn't bother me in the same way that it did a few years ago.

Now I can't wait to "acquire" a house next year so I can find room (in fact a whole room) for all of those books...

2 comments:

  1. What are you going to use the stickers for? Are you thinking that you might want to take up scrapbooking in your 40's? Or are they for John when he has been a good boy? Love ya S

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.