26 January 2009

The Inauguration at Sea



Some of you have been wondering why I haven't written anything about the inauguration of Barack Obama. Living in DC just up the street from the White House, you would think that I would have something to say about the day. Well I do, but unfortunately we were not in town for the event. Last May I booked a vacation for us and we didn't realize the schedule conflict until it was too late. Unlike the last time around we really would have liked to have stayed in town. Four years ago when W had his second inaugural we got the heck out of Dodge and had a really nice time visiting the Grand Canyon. (Highly recommend the GC in January: sunny, cold, a little bit of snow on the ground, and very quiet.)

Thankfully the night of the election we walked down to the White House at about 1:30 am, so we got to experience some of the Obama excitement. However, for the big day itself we were in San Juan, Puerto Rico on our first ever cruise (much more on that later). We lounged in our stateroom watching the ceremony on CNN as palm trees began to float by while we docked in San Juan. The inauguration was also shown on the big screen in the ship's theater, but I didn't want to have to shush anyone so we stayed in our cabin. As soon as the ceremony was over, I put on one of my Obama t-shirts and we hit the streets of old San Juan.

When we got back to the ship in the evening, I walked out onto our verandah and saw a couple on the ship next to ours wearing their matching Obama t-shirts. For me it was a great way to capture the spirit of the day.

1 comment:

  1. I can relate to your ObamaMania--here in Mexico, I'm having trouble NOT wearing my Obama T-Shirts everyday (that's T-shirtS, plural, which is a good thing because I can alternate.)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.